Since you asked…

Apparently my dear readers are enjoying this what if sequence I’ve posted and more than one of you suggested I try a different color than black.  So with my trusty and crude, ( I can assure you I didn’t spend a whole lot of time getting every pixel accurate) Photoshop skills, I knocked out another option and it is a pretty cool way to sample if you will, what something might look like in the colors I’ve selected.

First, I made this shearling and silk denim jacket back in December of 2011.  I still have a huge hunk left of the silk denim.  It has a nice texture and it is sort of denim-y color.  Since it isn’t so dark, I thought I’d give it a whirl.

ShearlingCoatBackHandwovenAndSilkDenimHandwovenAndSilkDenim2

Backstory…  I admit.  I was a coloring book junkie.  I just adored coloring books and I’d spend hours getting each picture perfect.  I wouldn’t dare color outside the lines.  So this exercise of combining two images, or in this case three, in Photoshop, is really just a crude version of coloring in my coloring books from my childhood.  My hand was much steadier with the crayon though, I’m a little wiggly with a mouse and the lasso tool.

So here was last night’s options, the handwoven fabric on the top and bottom and in the middle, both photos with a black linen accent.

Vogue1382modifiedVogue1382modified2

And here is tonight’s option, the handwoven fabric on the top and bottom and in the middle, both photos with a silk denim accent.  Keep in mind, this is Photoshop, and I wasn’t careful in matching stripes and giving the appearance of on grain.

Vogue1382modified4Vogue1382modified3

Have at it…

Comments (18)

SusanJanuary 28th, 2014 at 11:01 pm

HA, definitely better and I still would stay away from the solid colour in the center…CORSET!! or ‘suit’ of armor.
But that’s me :) But what a fun way to check things out, that’s great!

Sheila CareyJanuary 28th, 2014 at 11:02 pm

I like the denim colour. Still it best with the striped fabric in the middle or just for the skirt.

DianeJanuary 28th, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Agree that a solid middle looks too corset like. I do like both the denim best though. It depends what you are going for though – black looks more formal.

DianeJanuary 28th, 2014 at 11:34 pm

That said, I’d almost want two: one with black in the middle (rock that corset!) and one with blue and stripes in the middle.

Nancy WeberJanuary 29th, 2014 at 12:04 am

How about trying to not have the ‘corset’ look and make the top either the stripe or the solid? I think it might look better and not so chopped up. Or, do the blocks side-by-side all the way from the top to the hem? Might be more interesting…hmmm! Go girl!

Kathy HaysJanuary 29th, 2014 at 3:21 am

Personally the stripes are too bold for this design.

RosalineJanuary 29th, 2014 at 3:38 am

The bleu textile looks so much softer than the black one. I think bleu looks better on you than black. Look in the mirror and hold the bleu textile under your face, and than the black one. Not many people are good in black. When I ware black I look as if I lost all my family at once in an air-crash. And as Susan and Diane said : the solid colour in the middle looks like a corset. You can also do the denim on top and the rest of the dress in stripes.

LindaJanuary 29th, 2014 at 7:10 am

Hmm…better, but maybe bringing it up another notch? It’s kind of like picking a weft color for a hand-dyed warp!

treahJanuary 29th, 2014 at 7:46 am

I still like the black/stripe combo best, but of the 2 blue pics, interestingly, I like the stripes in the middle this time opposite to what I thought with the black. Fun exercise!

Elizabeth BJanuary 29th, 2014 at 8:14 am

Hahaha we are all so opinionated! I love what you’ve done but I don’t thing you have made too many awful decisions in your life so I hope you do what makes you happy – And I prefer the denim ;)

NanetteJanuary 29th, 2014 at 9:42 am

Since the stripes are so bold anyway…maybe GO for the corset look…make the midsection tighter and add laces! I bet there are 15 yr. olds who would love it…maybe Bri at that age?

Christina GranatierJanuary 29th, 2014 at 10:40 am

Hmm not so formal in blue..so guess you need to decide where you will wear your creation….i like the solid in the centre but then i like that kind of corset look. I still love that shearling jacket..i own the pattern but have yet to attempt it ..

LesleyJanuary 29th, 2014 at 10:54 am

I’ve no idea know why but with the black I preferred the stripes in the middle whilst the blue to me looks better with plain in the middle! Also, how about turning the stripes to the horizontal across the shoulders?

Cheryl ReedJanuary 29th, 2014 at 6:53 pm

The blue changes the mood to more casual.
But really, isn’t it a matter for hand/drape? Don’t you want the more drapable fabric in the middle section over your curves?

JennyJanuary 29th, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Blue denium!

bibliotecariaJanuary 30th, 2014 at 11:57 am

I actually think the problem lies in the 1-2-1 presentation of the color blocks. The stripes are strong, and it looks unbalanced to me. What I would go for is solid color on top, as a bodice, and stripes below.

Dorothy DayJanuary 30th, 2014 at 1:04 pm

You’re asking for personal preferences here and after all, you’re the one who is going to wear the dress (and I admit that you look amazing in denim blue) and also you’re the one to sew the materials with different drapes together.
Having said that, somehow the black with the stripes in the center is my favorite as shown above. The stripes are a strong element and better balanced by the black than the weaker blue.

Jenny SethmanJanuary 31st, 2014 at 8:37 am

Still my favorite is the handwoven in center with the black on top and bottom. Seems like it would make a more versatile dress, one that you could dress up or down, depending on accessories.