I had two priorities the last few days, one was to spend as much time with my husband, since he will only be in the country for another week, and the other was to photograph all the new work, for the exhibit applications, all due dates scattered throughout the month of February.
Honestly the first priority was much more fun than the second priority. My husband and I decided to give my son our older flat screen TV, partly because it was his birthday, and partly because we wanted him out of the den where he had taken up residence for all his video and gaming needs. Because that was the best TV. So we gave him the “best” TV and bought a better one. Bigger. Which meant a complete rearrangement of the room to fit this new better bigger TV. All this in time for Super Bowl Sunday/Eric’s birthday which were coincidentally the same day.
It was great fun to sort out and clean out and move things around, and the end result was a fun day with my husband, and a fun new arrangement in the room, and a wonderful TV. I watched the latest episode of Downton Abbey last night, our local PBS station wisely re-ran the episode again at 10pm knowing that even the most die-hard Downton fans would have their TV’s usurped by watchers of the Super Bowl. After all, it was a NY team that won! So congratulations to the NY Giants!
I took advantage of the new room layout, and brought my inkle loom down while participating in all of these television events, and finished off the remainder of the three inch wide trim I’m planning to use in a vest.
Then I tackled the not so fun part of my priority list. It isn’t that I dislike photographing my work, I love seeing it up on the screen, choosing between images, doing the actual camera work, it is the set up that makes me groan. Loudly. First I have to empty out the front half of my studio. That’s the part with all the looms, warping boards, and anything else that might be in the way. Groan. Loudly. That of course means I have to drag looms around, collapse them, compact them, put them in other rooms, and of course that exposes floor areas that don’t get cleaned regularly, which means I also have to drag out the vacuum while I’m at it.
Setting up the studio lighting and back drop, etc, is often a two person job. The whole process takes a couple hours.
But the good news is, I’m done. Finished. For better or for worse, the images are done, in the computer and now I have the arduous task of figuring out what to call these pieces, since the exhibitions I want to enter have definite themes and I have to somehow work the themes into the titles.
The application for the yardage exhibit went out today. I love the photographs, they clearly show the color sequence, the texture and the structure of the fabric. Sadly the handling swatch, which has to be sent along with the application, just can’t do the fabric justice since it is only 8″ square. I suppose most of the entries have this issue.
I called this yardage Pacific Sunset. When you look at it sideways, I really got the feel of the dark of night, fading into the vivid plums and oranges of the twilight sky, fading into the teals of the ocean. I adore this fabric, and can’t wait to make it into something.
And now I have to pull together the handling pieces for the fashion show exhibit entries, and come up with names for the garments. But for now, my studio is back together, and functioning again, and I’m happy with the images I got from the photo shoot today.